What is steel casting?
When cast irons are not found useful enough to provide strength and shock resistance, steel casting gets used. Steel casting is further categorized into two groups such as carbon casting and allows casting.
Why is the casting of steel so difficult?
Almost every metal have high melting points. Steel is no exception and it has a greater shrinkage rate than some of the metals such as iron. Special care gets required in the time of the design of the mold. Steel casting is a hard to do task.
Therefore it is more difficult to pour and further tougher to fill the slight gaps during mold designing when in a mold cavity. Molten steel is more likely to react with the old surfaces as well, thus making it an unpredictable process.
The parts which require getting cast often need machinability in order to achieve a specific tolerance rate and desired surface finishes. Of all the types of steel, carbon steel is the easiest machine for getting the required results.
High carbon content steel generally requires more time-consuming to cut or grind and, as a result, wears down the tools faster. On the other hand, low carbon content steel gets gummy, making it tougher to work with it.
Ability of damping
In machine applications, vibration is a frequently faced factor. For making intricate parts with the help of machine applications, casting is an appropriate procedure. Compared to cast iron, the casting of steel generally has a much lower damping rate, thus increasing the efficiency of the system.
In the casting of steel, the material doesn’t result in vibration, which stops it from leading it to making high-pitched sounds or squealing, which often results in disruption of the machine.
Wear resistance of steel casting
Most of the steel types offer the right balance and provide a high ductility rate, resulting in more toughness to the material. The possession of this property o toughness lets the material withstand significant stress and strain.
As a result, it doesn’t end up in fracture so quickly. Apart from this, steel is very tough yet compact in comparison to other materials. So steel casting gives the material a high wear-resistance factor.
Alloys in steel casting
The addition of allows to the casted steel generally increases its toughness and wear-resistance. Allow steel castings to get further mapped down into two categories.
There are two kinds of steel, get named as High allow and low allow steel. High-alloy steel casting contains more than 8% alloys, and low-alloy steel casting has less than 8% alloys.
Opportunities of steel casting manufacturing
The advantages of steel casting are:-
- Versatility in metallurgy: – Steel casting has been a very friendly procedure to the metallurgical industry. The reason for this bond is the process ability to adapt itself based on the need of the customer and in some cases other related industries.
- Weight flexibility: – Weight flexibility of steel casting is a very economic advantage. The material or stuff can be made according to the requirements in various shapes and sizes.
- Design flexibility: – Unlike many other industries, the steel casting industry offers the freedom for various kinds of designs, shapes and intricate nomenclatures. The hollow parts can be made with utmost ease. As we know of the stress concentration factor of steel, the durability and mobility of the material produced, is of entitled supremacy.
Challenges of steel casting manufacturing
The disadvantages of steel casting are:-
- Enormous weightage for large products: Large steel products get cast to weigh a tremendous amount. Thus they are difficult to move or shift, or transport.
- Expense: Steel casting is an expensive process as steel is a costly material. Thus production costs lead to a great extent.
- Shake-suction: Casted steel has low shake- suction ability. So industries that require minute and intricate raw materials prefer not to use steel casting.
Also Read: Production Trends of Sand Castings in India
To Sum It Up
The casting of steel is a primarily used process throughout the metallurgical Industry. This article gives a clear overview of the opportunities and challenges of steel casting manufacturing. It can also help us to enlighten us with knowledge.