The Museum of English Rural Life, in any case called the MERL, is a verifiable focus, library and account focused on recording the changing pith of development and the field in England. It houses relegated groupings of public importance that length the full extent of articles, documents, photographs, film and books. It is moreover the space of the University of Reading’s special groupings report, dwelling a few assortment of phenomenal books, organizations, typescripts and various objects of importance. The display lobby is constrained by the University of Reading, and is situated in Redlands Road to the rear of the establishment’s London Road Campus near the point of convergence of Reading in southern England. The region was recently known as East Thorpe House and a short time later St. Andrews Hall. It is an approved chronicled focus and licensed file as seen by Arts Council England and the National Archives.
History Of The Museum
The presentation corridor’s site at first was involved by a house known as East Thorpe, arranged in 1880 by Alfred Waterhouse for Alfred Palmer (of the Reading scone makers Huntley and Palmers). Palmer was a critical early supporter of Reading University and in 1911 East Thorpe was connected with become St Andrews Hall, a lobby of home for women going to the college.
The chronicled focus itself was set up in 1951, growing out of the school’s long academic relationship with agribusiness. It at first elaborate premises on the University of Reading’s essential Whiteknights Campus, opening to general society in 1955. St Andrews Hall was closed down as a corridor of home in 2001. The site was then redeveloped for the usage of the historical center, with the cost of £11m being shared by the school, the Heritage Lottery Fund and public cause. The redeveloped historical center corridor opened in 2005 and holds the first East Thorpe working, with the development of an adjoining new construction. The two separating structures post to the reestablished gardens, giving a setting to a rural/country assortment in a metropolitan climate.
The Museum went through a period of extra redevelopment from 2013–2016, financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Wellcome Trust, and the University of Reading. The Museum definitively continued on 22 October 2016 with ten new shows, including a presentation focused on Ladybird Books fine art held by the University of Reading Special Collections. In February 2019, a bat was found on the exhibition’s premises. The presentation lobby named the bat Merlin and gave him a library card. You can use taxi in Reading to reach the place.