How many times do you happen to hear from people? Who want to change their lives and leave a Riding a horse? That is now considered monotonous and devoid of stimuli to try their hand at a new, more exciting activity? The dream of giving up everything and starting a job with equestrian activity is much more frequent than one imagines;
- of course
- that unknown factor to change scares –
- especially if interested in such an unpredictable activity as that of recreational services and free time
The youngest, those who are entering the world of work for the first time:
- aware of the difficulties in finding a job,
- often aim to seek collaborations or invent a new job in those contexts where they demonstrate a certain predisposition
- which are the basis of their passions.
Many equitation practitioners or simple horse enthusiasts thus begin to gain experience in riding schools by accepting the most different tasks.
Starting that apprenticeship that probably will not guarantee them a job for life. But certainly will prove to be extremely formative and useful.
The starting point is often identifiable in a seasonal experience for the youngest or on weekends or in the evening free hours for others: we realize that the passion for horses can make a qualitative leap and we gradually find ourselves to collaborate with an equestrian center or you throw yourself into the business perhaps buying a cottage to open a farm or your own riding school.
Many, however, aim for high-impact jobs, probably due to the image associated with certain activities:
- so you want to become riding instructors (specifically of competitive disciplines), riding managers, professional riders …
The other professions,
the more basic ones,
are less popular.
but that can give as many satisfactions as that of the farrier, the basic instructor or pony.
The guide of equestrian tourism or the equestrian rehabilitation operator for the disabled .
Working with horses is by no means easy. There are no schedules, controlled parties or adequate economic returns: those who wish to undertake an equestrian profession certainly do so because driven by a strong passion and in the awareness that it is very often temporary or concentrated collaborations at certain times of the day or week.
However, this cross-section of reality should not frighten because it is in line with the dynamics of many other works considered more “normal” than ours.
The only certainty that must accompany those who want to work with horses is to do something they like and feel good:
this is the starting point for improving their personal human and professional condition.
Riding a horse in good weather
Spring and summer are the periods of the year where by definition many outdoor activities take place;
- horse riding is one of these,
- although it should be emphasized that it is advisable to ride horses all year round to keep fit,
- develop resistance and antibodies,
- and therefore limit the repercussions of flu and cold syndromes.
In spring and summer, the chances of being outdoors obviously increase;
- this invites you to start new activities such as horse riding,
- or to increase the frequency of those already carried out at other times of the year.
Referring to the theme of horse riding, it is important to evaluate some precautionary aspects to avoid unpleasant surprises or road accidents that could lead to all those typical problems of exposure to a hot environment.
When one has a strict responsibility in promoting an equestrian activity in the open air in the hottest periods of the year. Especially if it refers to very young people or individuals with weaknesses / disabilities.
It is important to prevent potentially harmful situations for our users, for the horses and (not least) for ourselves!
Hippotherapy or normal equestrian activity in the summer: some suggestions
Riding a horse already involves a considerable motor and cardiovascular commitment. The very hot environment stimulates more the physique of the person engaged in a motor activity making it potentially more vulnerable;
thus it becomes important not only to avoid the central moments of the day. But also to reduce the demands for cardiovascular commitment. Or alternate them with more relaxing exercises or with cool-down activities.
Some riding schools within their appurtenances have naturally shaded areas suitably adapted for equestrian activity in safety:
in this case,
if the conditions are favorable,
it may be desirable to transfer the regular amateur or equestrian re-education program in these spaces.
Another suggestion for riding in hot weather is to regularly propose the rehydration of people and animals:
- for the former it is simple with the addition of a bottle of water (fresh, not cold from the fridge!)
If the atmospheric temperature is particularly oppressive, before riding, during a break or when changing between lessons.
It is important to wet the riders’ hands and wrists with fresh water, as well as take a shower in the limbs. On the chest and inner thigh to our horses engaged in work to reassure them and help lower the internal temperature.
The use of suitable clothing for riding is also important:
- prefer light,
- light-colored clothing (preferably made of natural fibers) and breathable,
- rigid headgear of new conception for the passage of air inside them,
- and perhaps limit the ” use of plastic footwear (better shoes rather than boots).
- Compared to any protective bodice … it is always better to wear it for safety.
Often in summer the equestrian proposals change due to the high temperatures and a more continuous exposure to the sun.
In interventions with children or people with disabilities / discomfort:
- attention can be focused on activities on land ,
- perhaps where water is the protagonist: in this case,
- fun will be combined with the refreshment of water games (even taking a bath to the horse),
- while maintaining a solution of continuity with the educational
- experiential aspects so important for a harmonious growth of our riders.
Whether it is activities in the field or relaxing walks outside. The use of repellents to be applied to the horse can be important to prevent it from being invaded by gadflies or other insects that can disturb it and make it particularly annoying.
With regard to the specific field of hippotherapy, by virtue of the type of user involved it is important to pay attention to possible changes in the degree of lucidity and interaction of the person with cognitive / relational difficulties.
It is also important to carefully evaluate whether the health conditions or the intake of particular drugs can negatively interact on the health of our user with his exposure to hot environments.
Another aspect related to the field of disabilities or discomforts in general:
- marginal for the purposes of the repercussions on the health of the person but important with respect to exposure to other types of risk
- is that of horseback riding outside the stables, equestrian activities promoted during the summer from some centers that offer hippotherapy.
Already in a previous article we talked about horseback Riding a horse for the disabled;
here we would like to mention that the activity promoted outside. While holding the horse by hand and with wide levels of protection. Always has a higher risk margin than the initiatives carried out in the work field.