What is vanillin?
Commonly known as vanilla powder, vanilla, vanilla essence, vanilla. It can be found in vanilla seeds, white to yellowish crystalline or crystalline powder, slightly sweet. Soluble in hot water, glycerin and alcohol, insoluble in cold water and vegetable oil. The aroma is stable and will not volatilize at higher temperature. It is easy to oxidize in air and will change color when it is alkaline. It is widely used in all kinds of condiment, such as cake, cold drink, chocolate, candy, and so on. It can also be used in soap, toothpaste, perfume, rubber, plastics, medicine and so on.
Preparation of vanillin
- Add 24.8 g (0.1 mo1) guaiacol, industrial ethanol, 90 mL 30 g sodium hydroxide and appropriate amount of triethylamine in four necked bottle, equipped with mixing, reflux condenser, dropping funnel and a thermometer. After reflux and mixing, add 10 ml chloroform and drop by drop at 80 ° C for about 1 hour.
- At the end of dropping, 1 mol / L hydrochloric acid was added until the reaction was neutral. The sodium oxide is removed by filtration and the residue is thoroughly washed with ethanol. Then, triethylamine, chloroform and 2-methyl-3-methoxyanisole in the leachate were distilled until no oil droplets appeared.
- The remaining filtrate was purified with 30ml × 3 medical ether, dried with anhydrous magnesium sulfate, and the ether was removed by water bath distillation. The obtained milky white solid is dissolved in 15-25 parts of boiling water at 40-60 ° C. The upper layer is by-product and the lower layer is impurity. Vanillin was obtained by liquid phase separation and concentration.
- In the pharmaceutical industry, it is used to produce the antihypertensive drug methyldopa, catechol DOPA and its intraperitoneal and diazepam.
- It is an excellent perfume to obtain powdery fragrance and bean fragrance. Often used as foundation essence. It can be widely used in almost all fragrance types, such as violet, grass orchid, sunflower and oriental fragrance. It can be mixed with jasmine aldehyde, isoeugenol benzyl ether, coumarin, musk, etc. as fixed fragrance agent, modifier and mixture, and can also be used to cover halitosis.
- Gb27602011 food and nutrition in Europe stipulates the spices allowed to be eaten. Widely used in the preparation of vanilla, chocolate, cream and other flavors, the amount can be up to 25%-30%, or directly used for biscuits, cakes, 0.1%-0.4%, cold drinks 0.01%-0.3%, candy 0.2%-0.8%, especially dairy products. China’s national food safety standard for the use of food additives gb2760-2011 stipulates that “no edible flavor shall be added to formula food for infants aged 0-6 months”.
- It is used for the determination of nitropurine, phloroglucinol and tannic acid in analytical chemistry.